January starts off a string of birthdays in my family. Since we try to limit our toys and keep the house as decluttered as possible, we steer toward non-toy gifts for the kids.
Here are our favorite non-toy gift ideas for kids
- Local zoo or museum membership
- Movie tickets
- Magazine subscriptions (find yearly magazine subscriptions from $4.99 here)
- Music lessons
- Season tickets for a favorite sports team
- Broadway show or musical
- Subscription box (art projects and science experiments are fun!)
- Online hobby class (photography, sewing, crafts, etc.)
- Online cooking class (free knife skills course for kids here)
- Money toward summer camp
- Hobby equipment (sports gear, etc.)
- Clothing and sneakers
- Books (of course!)
- Room decor – wall decals are fun and don’t create clutter!
- Smartphone (here’s a review on the model we picked for my teen)
- Technology gear (my son recently got these headphones and this gaming mouse)
- Travel fund (2 of my kids have each gotten a trip overseas with their grandmother – this creates amazing memories!)
- Manicure or spa day
- Art supplies
- Personalized photo book
- Chocolate or candy
- Field trip (fun and free – ask for a tour at the fire station or Post Office)
- Sleepover at Grandma’s
- The most versatile and clutter-free gift of all – spending money!
I like #27 so much that it’s the only gift we give when my kids are invited to birthday parties! That way, the birthday boy (or girl) can get exactly what he wants and there’s no hassle to return a gift that’s not quite right.